The Portal is back in stock; we're currently shipping pre-orders as fast as we can. New orders will ship within one week of date of purchase.
- CleverHiker Tent Guide Top Pick 2020 (Portal Review Here)
- Top pick for "Best Bomber Tent" in Adventure Alan's Best Backpacking Tents of 2020! (Full review here).
- Named one of the "Best four-season tents of 2019-2020" by Section Hiker!
- Outside Magazine named the Portal one of the 3 Best Tents of 2019: "the only tent we’d want on a stormy trek." The Portal was also declared "strongest tent" in Backpacker Magazine's Summer 2019 Gear Guide.
The Portal is our lightest freestanding tent at 2lbs 13oz. It's our statement piece saying you don't need to sacrifice strength, features, or durability to make an ultralight freestanding tent.
If there's a stronger sub three-pound tent out there, we have yet to find it. By incorporating several technologies from our Expedition Series tents, we were able to give the Portal a degree of stability and weather resistance previously reserved for dedicated "four-season", or more accurately, "one season" tents.
We designed the Portal with an eye for long-term durability. This means using premium fabrics with good UV and mildew resistance, eliminating PU coatings that break down over time, and adding extra zipper sliders to double the zippers' lifespan.
The Portal can be set up fly-first to keep the inner tent dry in rainy conditions. Instructions are found in the bottom video below.
Made in Vietnam.
INTERNATIONAL ORDERS: Customer is responsible for all import duties and taxes. We recommend against "UPS STANDARD" shipping because they charge very high brokerage fees. To avoid brokerage fees, select either USPS shipping or UPS Worldwide Express/Expedited service.
- Two doors and two vestibules increase livability for two.
- Pre-installed internal guylines give the Portal great lateral stability for almost no weight increase. Click here for step-by-step instructions to install a second set of internal guylines. Click here to learn how internal guylines work.
- Our new KickStand vents make ventilation a breeze. Opposing struts on the vestibule doors provide unrestricted cross-tent airflow for excellent condensation management without sacrificing weather protection.
- High-volume pole structure with a swivel provides well-distributed headroom without the weakness of hubs.
- Pole swivel connects long poles for easy setup
- All the pockets you could ever want (two ceiling, two head, two side, one foot).
- Offset vestibule design eases entry and exit.
- 10 external guy points provide ample reinforcement. External guy points are matched to toggles to attach the fly directly to the poles, increasing stability.
- Matching reflective tabs on fly and tent body simplify setup.
- Can be pitched with footprint (not included) and fly for a minimalist weather shelter.
- 2-Side silicone impregnated flysheet and PE floor fabric are mildew-resistant and have excellent hydrolytic stability, and will last significantly longer than traditional PU-coated fabrics.
- Includes 10 DAC J-Stakes
|Trail Weight||2lbs 14oz (1.3kg)|
|Packaged Weight||3lbs 5oz (1.5kg)|
|Floor Area||27.45 sq ft (2.55 sq m)|
|Interior Height||44" (1.11m)|
|Packed Size||14" x 5" (35cm x 13cm)|
|Floor Dimensions||85" x 51" (head) x 42" (foot)|
|Vestibule Area||2 x 8.4 sq ft (2 x 0.78 sq m)|
|Number of poles||3|
|Number of doors||2|
|Tent Body Fabric||15D Nylon no-see-um mesh|
|Floor Fabric||20D Nylon Ripstop PE 1800mm|
|Fly Fabric||10D Nylon 66 Ripstop Sil/Sil 1200mm|
|Poles||2 DAC Featherlite NFL 8.7mm, 1 NFL 9.3mm|
Gotta say this tent is impressive. The weight combined with all the room and some truly innovative features have won me over if all goes to plan ill be making an attempt to thruhike the AT in 2021 and this tent will be coming with me. Keep up the good work slingfin
I would give this tent 4.5 stars if I could! Everything that the reviews say about this is true: a perfect sweet spot between durable and UL, with amazing construction, tons of space.
User Notes: this tent does not support a fly first pitch (the cross pole is held in place by the tent structure itself). This tent is much easier to pitch with two people (the cross pole is tricky, as it often slips out of the pockets).
This is actually a two person tent, not a 1+, which many "two person" tents actually are--with the double vestibules and more than enough room for two to sleep.
Definitely for rough adventures without the promise of support. Slightly heavier due to both the high quality construction and being actually made for two people, meaning this is a bit heavy for thruhiking tent, but for one on week or shorter, cannot recommend this tent enough if you that price tag.
Should also note that Sling Fin has excellent customer support (there was a shipping issue with mine, and they were Johnny-on-the-spot helping to get it straightened out).
First off, its a simple cross pole free standing tent with 2 doors and 2 vestibules. I don't know why every tent isn't like this. I feel the industry is over designing ad I applaud the fact that you kept with a design that works. THANK YOU!!! The material is a little thin so I have to be extra careful....but that's what I bought it for is to be light, thus it needs to be thin. I like all the stash pockets a lot. The rain fly flopped around the first night but once i figured out the toggle system it eliminated the problem. Well thought out design. Customers need to understand that this isn't designed to be an everyday tent that you'll pass down to your kid. This is an ultralight sub 3 tent that is designed to be what it is....nothing else. So people shouldn't expect it be what it is not. I'm the backpack guy at that one outdoor store that everyone knows and I tell people to look at this tent over some I have in store. Great tent, love it,
This is the product of fanatics, who think through every detail and also come up with dramatically better approaches to very old challenges. The secret is in the hiking pole supported main structure, which then lends rigidity to the whole. Since the outer fabric has little structural support function, it can be amazingly light yet robust. Many little details are done right — including internal guy lines that further strengthen the whole. A great product, that deserves a far wider audience than it has yet achieved.
Have only used it for about 7 days so far. Once with 2 people and once by myself. Great tent, easy to set up. I would say it is a little cramped for 2 but can definitely be done but really a perfect one person tent when you have lots of gear. Haven’t had it through any big storms yet but seems very solid. All in all very happy with my purchase.