Our next batch of Portals is entirely pre-sold! If you ordered a Portal before June 1, 2021, it will ship in early-mid July. Orders placed after June 1, 2021 will ship in late September 2021. Pre-orders are available now for a discount.
- Top pick two years running for "Best Bomber Tent" in Adventure Alan's Best Backpacking Tents list! (Full review here).
- CleverHiker Tent Guide Top Pick 2020 (Portal Review Here)
- Named one of the "Best four-season tents of 2019-2020" by Section Hiker!
- Outside Magazine named the Portal one of the 3 Best Tents of 2019: "the only tent we’d want on a stormy trek." The Portal was also declared "strongest tent" in Backpacker Magazine's Summer 2019 Gear Guide.
The Portal is our lightest freestanding tent at 2lbs 13oz. It's our statement piece saying you don't need to sacrifice strength, features, or durability to make an ultralight freestanding tent.
If there's a stronger sub three-pound tent out there, we have yet to find it. By incorporating several technologies from our Expedition Series tents, we were able to give the Portal a degree of stability and weather resistance previously reserved for dedicated "four-season", or more accurately, "one season" tents.
We designed the Portal with an eye for long-term durability. This means using premium fabrics with good UV and mildew resistance, eliminating PU coatings that break down over time, and adding extra zipper sliders to double the zippers' lifespan.
The Portal can be set up fly-first to keep the inner tent dry in rainy conditions. Instructions are found in the bottom video below.
Made in Vietnam.
INTERNATIONAL ORDERS: Customer is responsible for all import duties and taxes. We recommend against "UPS STANDARD" shipping because they charge very high brokerage fees. To avoid brokerage fees, select either USPS shipping or UPS Worldwide Express/Expedited service.
- Two doors and two vestibules increase livability for two.
- Pre-installed internal guylines give the Portal great lateral stability for almost no weight increase. Click here for step-by-step instructions to install a second set of internal guylines. Click here to learn how internal guylines work.
- Our new KickStand vents make ventilation a breeze. Opposing struts on the vestibule doors provide unrestricted cross-tent airflow for excellent condensation management without sacrificing weather protection.
- High-volume pole structure with a swivel provides well-distributed headroom without the weakness of hubs.
- Pole swivel connects long poles for easy setup
- All the pockets you could ever want (two ceiling, two head, two side, one foot).
- Offset vestibule design eases entry and exit.
- 10 external guy points provide ample reinforcement. External guy points are matched to toggles to attach the fly directly to the poles, increasing stability.
- Matching reflective tabs on fly and tent body simplify setup.
- Can be pitched with footprint (not included) and fly for a minimalist weather shelter.
- 2-Side silicone impregnated flysheet and PE floor fabric are mildew-resistant and have excellent hydrolytic stability, and will last significantly longer than traditional PU-coated fabrics.
- Includes 10 DAC J-Stakes
|Trail Weight||2lbs 14oz (1.3kg)|
|Packaged Weight||3lbs 5oz (1.5kg)|
|Floor Area||27.45 sq ft (2.55 sq m)|
|Interior Height||44" (1.11m)|
|Packed Size||14" x 5" (35cm x 13cm)|
|Floor Dimensions||85" x 51" (head) x 42" (foot)|
|Vestibule Area||2 x 8.4 sq ft (2 x 0.78 sq m)|
|Number of poles||3|
|Number of doors||2|
|Tent Body Fabric||15D Nylon no-see-um mesh|
|Floor Fabric||20D Nylon Ripstop PE 1800mm|
|Fly Fabric||10D Nylon 66 Ripstop Sil/Sil 1200mm|
|Poles||2 DAC Featherlite NFL 8.7mm, 1 NFL 9.3mm|
The Portal is a spacious two-person tent with incredible storage and provides exceptional weather protection. Large living quarters for a lightweight tent - I feel like a diva on the trail. At the same time, I feel protected from the elements. The architecture and style are altogether amazing. I love this tent so much!
I've tried and either sold or returned multiple other backpacking tents for various reasons (too small interior, condensation, leaks, don't hold up in basic wind etc.). I was leery of the Portal price point because I wasn't buying from a retailer that allowed returns after use. I researched the heck out of this tent, plunked down the money, and have never regretted the decision. I've spent many nights and rainy days in this tent. I always have people asking me about it as it has so much room and people assume it must weigh a ton. I've been caught in heavy snow, strong winds, and torrential downpours in the portal with zero issues! The video on how to setup the fly first (when raining) is super helpful. I am in the PNW and condensation was always an issue in other tents, some worse than others. I have had no problems at all with condensation in my Portal. Customer service is also stellar. This has been one of the best gear purchases I've made. Highly recommend!
This tent 🏕 is amazing, extremely lightweight and unbelievably strong. The security I feel as well as peace of mind knowing that not matter where i’m camping or what the conditions may be, I will be protected and warm! I took the Portal 2 out on a 8 day skateboard / camp trip in Colorado and after the first night I was sold! Another plus is the experience I had while buying the Portal, everyone was so kind and accommodating at SlingFin and answered every question I had and they were able to get my shipped so fast! Safe to say I’ll be purchasing another one for other family members! Thanks 🙏🏾 SlingFin !
This tent is awesome. My oldest daughter and i just got back from a 5 day winter trip with very cold nights and this tent was perfect for the two of us.
Still have not figured out the in internal/external guying ropes. Will do that next time. No heavy winds but i expect this to be a great tent, next time that is an issue. Used my old groundcover which does not quite fit. Need one of those lightweight polycro ground covers that actually covers the area under the vestibules. Getting up in the middle of the night, i got a lot of the fine grained sand and dirt from the canyon on my socks and shoes. Good ltwt ground cover under the vestibules would have prevented that. All in all, an excellent tent and my new go-to tent for 1-2 people with unpredictable winter weather.
Gotta say this tent is impressive. The weight combined with all the room and some truly innovative features have won me over if all goes to plan ill be making an attempt to thruhike the AT in 2021 and this tent will be coming with me. Keep up the good work slingfin