The 3-person version of our bestselling Portal tent, the Portal 3 keeps the best parts of the 2-person and bumps the size up to accommodate a third adventure partner. Like its siblings, the Portal 3 maximizes its strength-to-weight ratio by incorporating several features developed for our Expedition Series tents, like our OutRigger attachment, pre-installed internal guylines, and numerous external guy points.
The Portal 3 is more than a scaled-up version of our Portal 2. With beefier poles to compensate for the tent's larger wind profile and a split ceiling pocket at the head for better accessibility by multiple people, we crafted the Portal 3 from the ground up with just as much attention to detail as the original Portal. We tested the Portal 3 on everything from multiday whitewater trips in the American Southwest to the Icelandic highlands to ensure that the Portal 3 will be a steadfast companion no matter where the trail (or river, or road) takes you.
Our 10D Nylon 66 Ripstop silicone-coated flysheet fabric is basically magic, with better UV resistance than fabrics three times its weight (read more about our UV testing here), super low water absorption (aka quick dry times), and incredible mold/mildew resistance. The silicone coating will not break down in your closet and produce that "old tent smell" that haunts well-loved gear. The 20D PE-coated floor fabric strikes a good balance between light weight and durability and doesn't absorb water, unlike PU-coated floor fabrics. It also has far more hydrolytic stability than PU coatings and won't become flaky and smelly with time. Pre-installed spare sliders on all the zippers double your zippers' lifespan and eliminate the need for half-baked field repairs when you're 90% of the way to the terminus of whatever long trail you're on.
To prolong the life of your Portal's floor, pick up a Portal 3 footprint. For ultralight weather protection in non-buggy conditions, check out the Portal 3 Tub Floor. Additional stakes and guylines can be purchased here.
- Two doors and two vestibules
- Two pre-installed internal guylines give the Portal great lateral stability for almost no weight increase. Click here for step-by-step instructions to install a second set of internal guylines. Click here to learn how internal guylines work.
- Our KickStand vents make ventilation a breeze. Opposing struts on the vestibule doors provide unrestricted cross-tent airflow for excellent condensation management without sacrificing weather protection.
- High-volume pole structure with a swivel provides well-distributed headroom without the weakness of hubs.
- Pole swivel connects long poles for easy setup
- All the pockets you could ever want (three ceiling, two head, two side, one foot).
- 10 external guy points and 2 perimeter pull-outs provide ample reinforcement.
- External guy points correspond to flysheet-to-pole attachments to increase stability.
- Matching reflective tabs on fly and tent body simplify setup.
- Color-coordinated stake loops for easy flysheet orientation.
- Pre-installed spare zipper sliders on every zipper double your zippers' lifespan.
- Can be pitched with footprint (not included) and fly for a minimalist weather shelter.
- 2-side silicone impregnated flysheet and PE floor fabric are mildew-resistant and have excellent hydrolytic stability, and will last significantly longer than traditional PU-coated fabrics.
- Includes 10 DAC J-Stakes and 10 additional external guylines (not including 2 pre-installed internal guylines)
|3lbs 12oz (1.7kg)
|4lbs 3oz (1.9kg)
|41.5 sq ft (3.86 sq m)
|6" x 17" (15cm x 43cm)
Pole Package Length
|92" x 68" (head) / 62" (foot) (234cm x 173cm/157cm)
|10.3 sq ft (0.96 sq m)
|Number of poles
|Number of doors
|Guy out loops
|Perimeter pull out loops
|10 (+2 pre-installed internal guylines)
|Tent Body Fabric
15D Nylon no-see-um mesh
|20D Nylon Ripstop PE 1800mm
|10D Nylon 66 Ripstop Sil/Sil 1200mm
|2 DAC Featherlite NFL 9.3mm, 1 PL 10.65mm
Seam Sealing Note: The seams on your Portal's flysheet are highly water-resistant and will handle light rain just fine without being seam sealed. However, the three seams directly beneath the tent poles should be seam sealed for maximum waterproofness in extended, heavy rains.
Sewn in Vietnam.
INTERNATIONAL ORDERS: Customer is responsible for all import duties and taxes. We strongly suggest looking up duty rates in your region before ordering, especially if you live in Canada. We recommend against "UPS STANDARD" shipping because they charge very high brokerage fees. To avoid brokerage fees, select either USPS shipping or UPS Worldwide Express/Expedited service. Note that UPS brokerage fees and import tax & duty are separate. Canadian customers can estimate duty here. Please note this is just an estimate and actual rates may vary.